Sunday 20 November 2011

fairytales and folly

What it is about a white dress and a diamond ring? It can make us feel weak at the knees and bring tears to our eyes. Or is that just me...? I've come to realise, however, that there is no 'one size fits all' approach to weddings and 'forever after'. I can't find it in a little blue box. Even though it is interesting trying. Fairytales are great. As a kid, my favourites were 'The Last Unicorn' and 'The Neverending Story'. The idea of a happily ever after set in a magical place had me transfixed in its world of wonder. Growing up to be a big kid, advertising preys on these fantasies. It's no mistake that many women fall for a Tiffany diamond. The advertisement of the damsel being whisked off her feet and made to feel special by a handsome prince had us at hello. I'm consciously trying to avoid the creeping cynicism that I can feel...I love romance, there is very much a place for it. Even more, a need for it in a somewhat switched off society. What I don't love is that at times, we are not encouraged to read the fine print. Everyone else is doing it, why can't I? In reading the fine print I have learnt that being the odd one out is ok. It's not about having the boxes ticked at a certain age. Going against the grain should be the new norm. Find and follow your own heartbeat ladies, we are all princesses. And there are indeed many princes out there, just don't go blindly where angels fear to tread. Sweet dreams xx

No comments:

Post a Comment